Marriage counseling, also called couples therapy, is a type of psychotherapy. Marriage counseling helps couples of all types recognize and resolve conflicts and improve their relationships. Through marriage counseling, you can make thoughtful decisions about rebuilding and strengthening your relationship or going your separate ways.
Marriage counseling is often short term. Marriage counseling typically includes both partners, but sometimes one partner chooses to work with a therapist alone. The specific treatment plan depends on the situation. Therapists assist couples to communicate better, manage challenges, develop successful conflict management, and to enhance emotional connection and satisfaction.
Couple’s Therapy is useful for:
- Drug, alcohol, and other substance misuse
- Child and adolescent behavior
- Emotional disorders including anxiety, depression, loss and grief
- intimate partner violence
- Couple relationships/sexual intimacy issues
- Parenting issues/skills
- Financial problems